Cookouts: Summer Foods That are Good for Your Teeth
One of the most popular summer activities for families and friends include summer cookouts or barbecues. It’s important to know that you can still enjoy various cookout or barbecue foods while ensuring that you are keeping your oral health in mind.
Here are some summer food tips from County Dental and the American Dental Association to help you get started with good eating habits for the summer.
- Avoid a lot of potato chips. Why? The chewed-up chips settle in the pits of your teeth, allowing cavity-causing bacteria the ability to make a meal from your teeth. Some alternatives include apples, pears on a fruit platter and a vegetable tray with carrots, celery, and raw broccoli.
- Don’t forget cheese on your hamburger. Add a cheese platter. Why? Dairy products are low in sugar and rich in calcium and phosphorous. They strengthen and protect enamel.
- Summer foods like corn on the cob can cause food to get stuck between your teeth. Don’t use toothpicks to remove the food. Why? Toothpicks can pierce gums. Instead of toothpicks try using dental picks.
- Go seedless. Why? Purchasing seedless hot and hamburger buns without out sesame and poppy seeds will avoid debris getting left in between the teeth. Don’t forget seedless watermelon, since we all know watermelon is a summer favorite!
- Don’t chew on ice. Chewing on ice can cause a dental emergency such as a broken tooth.
- Avoid sugary drinks. Sugary drinks can cause dry mouth and can eat away at your teeth. One drink option to consider is water with a twist of a fruit. Infused waters are low in sugar and help hydrate. Try to stay away from citrus fruits because they can be harsh on your teeth.
- Freshen breath with gum, not hard candy: Studies from the ADA show that chewing gum with the ADA Seal 20 minutes after meals may help prevent tooth decay. How? Sugar-free gum helps saliva wash away food and fights acids from bacteria.
Save on Summer Dental Care Today
County Dental is a featured Provider of Dental Direct. Dental Direct is a discounted dental savings plan program offering 30-60% savings on over 150 discounted dental services and 1 FREE teeth cleaning per member, per year. Enroll today.
Are You New to the Area? We Are Accepting New Patients
We at County Dental would love to meet you! We are always happy to welcome new patients. Schedule your next dental appointment online. Don’t forget to ask us about our free teeth whitening options with your first appointment before you schedule your visit. Visit the link below to get started http://www.countydental.com.
New CareCredit Applicants Receive a Free Sonicare Brush when you charge $200 before June 30
Get 0% financing with Care Credit! Care Credit helps you pay for out of pocket dental expenses for you and your family. Until June 30, 2018, all approved, new CareCredit applicants can receive a free Sonicare brush when they make a charge of at least $200 before June 30, 2018. Start saving today.
Have a great summer!